D1 Licence Minibus Training

Contact Us today and Sirens Driving Academy will help you every step of the way.

D1 licence & Minibus

D1 licence, also known as a minibus licence can be useful because a number of occupations use it. We help and advise you to understand whether you are entitled to drive a minibus on your current licence.

To drive for“hire and reward” a PCV category D1 licence is required. You should obtain a D1 driving licence, if you intend to drive a minibus and carry up to 17 people, including the driver. There are certain grey areas, which make this more difficult to understand, which include section 19 and 22 permits.

If you passed your test before 1st January 1997, then you should hold grandfather rights. This makes it possible for you to drive a minibus but with 101 restrictions. This means you are prevented from driving for “hire & reward”. In this case, you will have to take the D1 driving test or upgrade to a category D driving licence. Also known as a PCV or bus licence.

If you passed your driving test after the 1st January 1997, then depending on how you are going to drive a Minibus, will depend on whether you should take the practical test.

Call us today on 07818 408 336 or 07984 493798 to get the best advice on the D1 driving licence. 

D1 licence
D1 licence for teachers

Understand the D1 licence

PCV training is both rewarding and improves your driving skills. As a teacher who may have to obtain the D1 licence to take children on school trips. Driver training is vital to ensure their safety. There is still a lot of confusion around whether teachers require a D1 driving licence but in Hertfordshire, there is no such confusion.

Hertfordshire County council sought legal advice in 2000 around whether teachers were exempt under the section 19 permit. Their view then, which has been reviewed in 2006, 2010 and 2011 still refers to the confusion around “hire and reward”. It would appear from their advice here, that teachers are required to take and pass the PCV theory test and practical tests.

Before you drive a minibus look at whether you should take the PCV theory test and hazard perception test. Once you have your PCV provisional licence, you can look at one of the PCV training courses that are right for you.

Remember that as it is your licence, you should be the one that understands the requirements of the D1 Driving licence. If you follow our steps you could start your training to pass a D1 driving test.

Obtaining a D1 Licence.

In order to learn to drive a minibus, you should first speak with a company like us. What you should find is that you will get clarity around the category D1 entitlement.
Before you can start the D1 minibus training, there is an application form to get your provisional licence. This is known as a D2 form, which we can send to you or you can download HERE. You also need a D4 form, which is for the medical examination by a doctor.

What would it be like if we took care of all of this for you and booked everything? Ask the team how we can help you by calling on 07818 408 336 or 07984 493798. We can also advise on the Section 19 permit. 

D1 licence & Minibus
D1 licence

Our team can actually make this process so much easier for you, by taking care of the following;

  • Complete the D2 and D4 forms with you.
  • Book your medical for a discounted rate of £75.00. (all prices subject to change and only correct as of 22/12/18)
  • Arrange and manage the PCV theory test and hazard perception.
  • Schedule your CPC module 2 and 4 training.
  • Assess and deliver your D1 minibus driver training.

Start booking your D1 licence training today

Suppose we could get you your D1 driving licence and test all booked up with little or no fuss. Imagine how much easier that would be if we took care of it all. We can offer 1-2-1 minibus driver training or you could opt for a joint course. The benefit of a joint course is a saving of £’s. Ask the team about these courses. You can also email the team or call us on 07818 408 336 or 07984 493798.

Our courses can help you with the following skills;

  1. Improve your knowledge of the PCV theory test.
  2. Develop and improve your driving ability, so that you become a safer driver.
  3. Show responsibility as an organisation by taking the PCV driving test

If you feel we can help you obtain your PCV D1 licence today, then give us a call and start your journey.

We have qualified driving instructors. They are experienced in offering:

LGV/HGV training – Our qualified trainers offer LGV Training in London and the Home Counties.

PCV training – Our trainers provide PCV training & courses in London and the Home Counties.

Trailer towing training – We offer trailer towing lessons & courses to pass your towing test first time.

Trailer driving lessons – We offer trailer driving lessons to prepare you to pass the B+E trailer test.

B+E (Car & Trailer) – We offer B+E car and trailer training to individuals and companies.

Contact Us Today

Please enter your name.
Please enter a valid phone number.
Please enter a message.
You must accept the Terms and Conditions.


Highly qualified and friendly driving instructors to help you pass your test with confidence. Our success rate for candidates passing first time is extremely high and we would love to help you pass first time too.


Sirens Driving Academy

Unit 14 The Hub, Elstree Aerodrome, Hogg Lane, Elstree, WD6 3AW

Telephone: 07818 408 336 | 07984 493 798.

We are proud to say that we are members of the following groups: