HGV Class 2 licence

Contact Us today and Sirens Driving Academy will help you every step of the way.

HGV Class 2 licence

What would it be like, if we could explain all about this HGV class 2 licence or LGV class 2 confusion? There are currently plenty of HGV/ LGV driving jobs out there. Are you not sure what is right for you? We can explain all you need to know here.

As far back as 1992, the licencing in the UK came in line with the European Union and as a result HGV changed overnight to LGV. The reason for this was prior to 1992 the UK referred to vehicles under 3,500kg as light goods vehicles. Vehicles over 3,500kg were called heavy goods vehicles and this was all for road tax purposes. So essentially before 1992 those under 3,500kg were referred to as LGV, but now it is vehicles over 3,500kg.

For someone new trying to upgrade their car licence to a lorry licence, this can be confusing. A bit like seeing “licence” spelt “license”. In the UK we spell in with a “c”, so when searching for work, where class 2 drivers are required it is important to spell it right. Getting you category c licence is one of the most rewarding things you can do. We will explain how you get through all of this mist and cloud of confusion.

For more advice on this, then you can contact us on 07818 408 336 or 07984 493798.

So what is a HGV Class 2 licence?

If you are looking to get that HGV class 2 licence. Then let us explain how you get that provisional licence and start your journey, as an HGV class 2 driver.
If you want to change your car licence and drive any rigid vehicle over 3,500kg. Then you need a provisional licence for that category. Any vehicle now over 3,500kg is referred to LGV, including category C1. This is for vehicles from 3,500kg up to 7.5 tonne. A lot of companies use deliveries vehicles over 3,500kg, so they need to have an upgraded driving licence. To drive anything over 3,500kg would require LGV training and for you to take a practical driving test. There is also an LGV theory test and hazard perception, which you must pass. If you want to earn an income from your licence, then you also have to do driver CPC.

A lot of people that pass the category C1 driving licence use this for driving a horsebox socially or an ambulance. In these instances, they do not require driver CPC. For more advice on this, then you can contact us on 07818 408 336 or 07984 493798.

Comparing HGV licences

If you want to upgrade your car licence and get a provisional licence for driving a large goods vehicle. Then this is what driving licence you need;

  • Category B licence – Depending on when you passed your licence will depend on what you can drive. On this licence, anyone that passed before 1st January 1997 also holds a C1 and D1 entitlement under their “grandfather rights”. If you passed after this date, then you can drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg. For further advice on this refer to our B+E, C1 and D1 pages.
  • Category C1 licence – If you want to drive a vehicle weighing over 3,500kg but no more than 7.5 tonne. Then you would need to take an LGV theory test and hazard perception, before an LGV practical driving test.
  • Category D1 licence – When you are looking to drive a minibus, you should research this thoroughly. There is confusion around the section 19 permit and who can and can’t drive a vehicle weighing over 3,500kg, that can carry 9-16 passengers. To read more on this licence or get advice call today on 07818 408 336 or 07984 493798.

Comparing an HGV class 2 licence to PCV licence

Although a D1 driving licence falls into the category of PCV licence, it is easier to think of PCV as a full bus licence. When looking at the PCV licence, although it is the same test as an HGV class 2 licence test, they are different.

There a many types of HGV licence dependent on the vehicle you plan to operate.
There a many types of HGV licence dependent on the vehicle you plan to operate.
  • Category D licence – After upgrading your car licence to a category D licence you can drive a passenger carrying vehicle with more than 8 passengers and add a trailer no more than 750kg.
  • Category C licence – Usually if people want to drive a 7.5 tonne vehicle and obtain a C1 driving licence, it may be easier to get a HGV class 2 licence. This is because you can drive a rigid vehicle weighing in excess of 7.5 tonne, so it gives more flexibility.
  • Category C+E licence – Known as an HGV Class 1 licence before 1992, this entitles the person to drive large goods vehicles weighing in excess of 7.5 tonne and drive a large goods vehicle and trailer combination.
HGV class 2 licence
HGV class 2 licence

Once you have passed either your practical driving test for either your PCV licence or HGV class 2 licence. There are plenty of agencies or jobs out there. Such as here for PCV or here for LGV jobs.

Getting your HGV Class 2 licence

The first thing you should do is find a company you can trust. What would it be like if you found a company that has been operating since 2006. That same company has qualified instructors providing first-class training.

At Sirens Driving Academy we can offer you the full booking package. We can offer you the following;

  1. Complete and send off both D2 and D4 forms
  2. Book your doctors medical at a discounted rate.
  3. Supply and monitor your LGV theory test and hazard perception package
  4. Book your LGV Theory test and hazard perception.
  5. Offer assessment drives for the practical driving test.
  6. Driver CPC training for module 2 and module 4

What would it be like if we did all of that for you and you got through the first time?

Suppose you could book with us today and start your career. How would you feel? Let us show you what it is like to book with a professional family business, that looks after you.

Call us today to book in for your new HGV class 2 licence, telephone 07818 408 336, 07984 493798 or fill out our simply online contact from here: Contact Us

A HGV licence can be the path to a new career
A HGV licence can be the path to a new career

We have qualified driving instructors. They are experienced in offering:

LGV/HGV training – Our qualified trainers offer LGV Training in London and the Home Counties.

PCV training – Our trainers provide PCV training & courses in London and the Home Counties.

Trailer towing training – We offer trailer towing lessons & courses to pass your towing test first time.

Trailer driving lessons – We offer trailer driving lessons to prepare you to pass the B+E trailer test.

B+E (Car & Trailer) – We offer B+E car and trailer training to individuals and companies.

Contact Us Today

Please enter your name.
Please enter a valid phone number.
Please enter a message.
You must accept the Terms and Conditions.


Highly qualified and friendly driving instructors to help you pass your test with confidence. Our success rate for candidates passing first time is extremely high and we would love to help you pass first time too.


Sirens Driving Academy

Unit 14 The Hub, Elstree Aerodrome, Hogg Lane, Elstree, WD6 3AW

Telephone: 07818 408 336 | 07984 493 798.

We are proud to say that we are members of the following groups:




Terms & conditions apply and price based on someone already holding a Cat C licence